|Jessie putting some flies to good use|
Even the high wind warnings and dropping temperatures couldn’t keep me off the water on this day.
The fishing reports this fall have been mixed. There haven’t been the numbers of salmon in the system that we normally get, and that means that you really need to be in the right place at the right time to get into a good group of fish that happens to be moving through the area that you’re fishing. There is of course, more to it than that, and a good bit of prolonged precipitation would be a great start.
Having said all that, everyone has different expectations when it comes to how they measure success.
|A nice kyped out male|
The later part of the day proved to be better. I moved downstream to a new location to meet up with Jessie, and with the new change we saw a higher concentration of fish that would prove to be much more catchable.
But like I said we had to work for every bite we got. We continued to change things up until Jessie found a great new pattern that really turned the fish on. The key was in using a single trout bead (to match the natural color of the eggs in the system,) up about four inches from a number twelve olive gold bead head hare’s ear nymph. About eight to ten inches up from that, we attached one small shot fished without an indicator all on six pound test tippet. Remember we were fishing low clear water, so it pays to dial everything back a bit and go light.
All in all Jessie and I managed a good three or four fish to the net before we headed out for the day.
|This brown came out of the water a few times|
Special thanks to Leif Mermagen of StreamWalker Nets.....the Lakerun model got a good work out today!
See you out on the stream