Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Oak 10/25

My dad(James) and brother(Andy) came out for the weekend to fish with me at the Oak. I hope that this is becoming a yearly event. It was great to be able to spend time with both of them and fish together. It was also nice to have my brother's brother in-law (John) join us for a few hours of fun. We even had some of my friends (Bob & Kim & Lucas) show up and fish with us for a while. It was great to be around such wonderful people!

Now to the fishing! It was a very very wet day. Rain and more rain was the order of the morning. Great for the fish! Not so great for us bipeds. And with rain pouring off the rims of our hats we flogged the water for hours with little success. We did hook a few fish but none were brought to hand. The only exception was Luke's nice steelhead and brown that he caught early in the morning.

We worked our way upstream searching for fish and eventually came to a long run with fish holding in pockets throughout. Andy hooked into a few fish and so did I. We had some fun watching dad try to control a few large Chinook salmon. This went on all morning until we met up with John(Andy's brother in-law.) After some lunch, John, Andy and I went back to the Oak in search of a few more willing participants in what would turn out to be an over matched tug of war between fish and man. Today, the fish won. The only fish we did manage to land was a nice male brown trout of about 7lbs. that I had to run 75 yards down stream to land.

Photos were as hard as the fish to manage. The rain prevented us from dragging our cameras out at every opportunity. Luke was the only one who took some shots and he only managed a few. So thanks to him, I have a nice shot of my brother and me fishing together at the Oak. Thank you very much Luke!

All in all it was a great weekend to spend some time on the water with family and friends. Sure it rained. In fact, it rained a lot! But our goal was to spend some time fishing together. And no amount of rain was going to stop us from doing that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great story! we had a lot to be thankful for really. It wasn't windy and cold.. that would have been a nightmare! there were some fish in the river, most likely a lot more than sandy creek.. all in all it was a good day, and i'm glad I could be there!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the picture Luke! I was too busy trying to keep dry to take any snaps. Glad to fish with you all. Had a great time!