Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It's about time!


With all this great weather we have had the past couple of weeks, I have been trying to get out as much as I can and try and catch a steelhead. Well....today was the day! After losing a fish or two and sometimes even getting skunked this past winter, I have kept a positive attitude, and have now been rewarded for my perseverance!

The fish I landed took a #8 chartreuse bead head olive woolly bugger on a dead drift. And as soon as I set the hook, she came up the surface shaking hear head back and forth. When I saw the pink in the gill plate and on her silvery sides, I new that I had a fresh fish that was a day or two from the lake. I only hoped the fly held. With a few runs here and there and a lot of twisting and turning, I finally manged to slide her up on shore. To say that I let out a sigh of relief would be an understatement. Like I said, it had been a while since I landed my last steelhead.

A "center pin" guy who had walked down to watch me land my first spring steel, was very friendly and took a few photos for me. And while I was playing the fish he was talking to Ethan, saying "watch how your dad does it, so you can do it someday." He told me it was great to see Ethan with me in the pack on my back. Like I said he was a really great guy!

I'll be out again before the run is done. And I hope I don't have to wait too long before I get another nice steelhead to shore. What a great day! I am truly blessed to be able to enjoy great fishing in my back yard and to do it with my kids!!

Enjoy!

Brian

No comments: