Saturday, August 16, 2014

Late Spring Flasback - Chrome in May!



Lucas Carroll doing battle with a nice drop back hen.

It’s been awhile since my last post and plenty has happened since then, but before I post about some of my most recent adventures, I need to make mention of some fantastic spring fishing that I had in early May.

When you think of fly fishing for spring steelhead in WNY, you think of those early ice-out conditions on the local tribs, high water, and plenty of fresh chrome lake run steelhead making their way upstream in search of prime spawning gravel. 

This event takes place in late February and early March…usually. This year however was very different in WNY. Our winter ended late March/early April and because ice-out happened much later than it usually does, our steelhead season extended well into May.

Ready for release
During a normal spring cycle, you can still find a few steelhead in our small WNY tribs into early May, but you have to put your time in. Not this year!

I had the chance to meet up with my good friend Lucas Carroll for a few hours of fun on one of my favorite small WNY tributaries and the fishing did not disappoint.

There were plenty of steelhead to be caught and some very large lake run smallmouth bass up twenty inches or better. We caught all our fish dead drifting flies under an indicator and on the swing. And the best part of the whole adventure was the absence of other anglers – we were the only ones on the stream! 
Big lake run smallie on the fly!
Yet another nice lake run smallie

Usually I don’t have the time that is necessary to search out the few late season drop back steelhead that are still left in the small WNY tributaries during late spring. This year was different. It was bitter cold up until the end, but I am glad it was, it provided Lucas and I with a rare opportunity at some late season chrome.

No comments: